Goodbye [MAYBE! HOPEFULLY NOT!]

Where to discuss topics about PS2 gaming not related to its online aspect.
21SkAt3r21
Level 27: ATV: PavedRoad Glee
Xlink Kai Setup?: no

Goodbye [MAYBE! HOPEFULLY NOT!]

Post by 21SkAt3r21 »

My 60gb ps3 that I use to play ps2 online got Yellow Light Of Death today. This is the 2nd time in the last 6 months and I am considering selling my ps3. I cant spend 100$ repairing it every month. It is likely that I will get a slim ps3. If I do sell it, I will try getting another adapter for my ps2 (my current one is lost :P) but I make no promises. If I do quit, I will try to stay to stay active on the site. If I dont stay active, Thanks for everything. It was fun playing and I enjoyed it. This is a great community. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
THPS 4 LIFE

(gmt-6)

lazyhoboguy
site admin
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes
Xlink Kai username: lazyhobobum

Re: Goodbye [MAYBE! HOPEFULLY NOT!]

Post by lazyhoboguy »

Well that sucks. New slim ps2s are 100 bucks right now and might drop in price in the future. I think you can get a used ps2 for around 40 or 50 bucks as well.

Viscosity
site admin

Post by Viscosity »

http://www.gamestop.com/ps2/accessories ... pter/20463

Check to see if your local gametop is selling them. These are the cheapest you can find them and they just want to get rid of them. I would suggest not to get a new slim as you can't soft mod it. If you get network adapter you can stick a hard drive on it and play games from there without discs and have almost instant load times. Slims can be modded but not anything made after 2008 or 90000 models. 70000-8000 will work if you can get it used or new.

21SkAt3r21

Post by 21SkAt3r21 »

Ok, I found an adapter for 15$ at Gamestop. Im glad cuz the cheapest one I fount on ebay was 40$. Im gettin my ps3 fixed but the repair place said it is going to die again soon (the CPU has practically no life left). I have just enough time to get my disc out and data off before it is done completely. :D
THPS 4 LIFE

(gmt-6)

lazyhoboguy
site admin
Xlink Kai username: lazyhobobum

Post by lazyhoboguy »

15 bucks is a pretty great price for a ps2 network adapter. Even 4 years ago a used one cost be around 35 bucks online.

21SkAt3r21

Post by 21SkAt3r21 »

lazyhoboguy wrote:15 bucks is a pretty great price for a ps2 network adapter. Even 4 years ago a used one cost be around 35 bucks online.
Yeah. I am going to get one. I'm glad they are cheap and there is still lots around. When they made Dreamcast Adapters, they only made 70,000 worldwide and they are now going for 200-250$.
THPS 4 LIFE

(gmt-6)

wawowe
site admin
Xlink Kai username: wawowe

Post by wawowe »

I had/have a ps3 that got the ylod 7 times. finally it caused a power surge somehow and now it's power supply is dead and i can't afford to fix it. but it's the gpu warping from too much heat and disconnecting from the mainboard because they used lead free solder to make it more "green" and also because the clamps they use to hold it down only cover about half of it. diagonally. you can fix it if you take it apart and wrap various things in aluminum. and bake it in your oven at 400f for about 10 minutes. that will heat up the solder and cause everything to reattach right. however the connection will be still weaker than it was originally so it will have a short life. to fix it for longer you need to get some big round washers and put them on the clamp screws to hold down to gpu/cpu. those two things together should keep it going for a long time. and if you want it to last "forever" do both those things plus re-set the gpu with lead solder.
also clean off the thermal paste and re-apply. (thin layer)

i didn't go so far out of the way to fix mine which is why it's now lying in pieces in my closet. everytime mine got the ylod i fixed it by heating it up with a heat gun, while neglecting all the other things i suggested. but if you've got 100 to spend once then you can permfix it

Viscosity
site admin

Post by Viscosity »

I didn't think lead free solder was that bad.

wawowe
site admin
Xlink Kai username: wawowe

Post by wawowe »

lead free solder melts at a lower temperature thzn lead solder. that's why it's bad for that purpose

Mr.Chale
Level 5: 187 Avoid this Game or Die
Xlink Kai username: Mr Chale

Post by Mr.Chale »

wawowe wrote:I had/have a ps3 that got the ylod 7 times. finally it caused a power surge somehow and now it's power supply is dead and i can't afford to fix it. but it's the gpu warping from too much heat and disconnecting from the mainboard because they used lead free solder to make it more "green" and also because the clamps they use to hold it down only cover about half of it. diagonally. you can fix it if you take it apart and wrap various things in aluminum. and bake it in your oven at 400f for about 10 minutes. that will heat up the solder and cause everything to reattach right. however the connection will be still weaker than it was originally so it will have a short life. to fix it for longer you need to get some big round washers and put them on the clamp screws to hold down to gpu/cpu. those two things together should keep it going for a long time. and if you want it to last "forever" do both those things plus re-set the gpu with lead solder.
also clean off the thermal paste and re-apply. (thin layer)

i didn't go so far out of the way to fix mine which is why it's now lying in pieces in my closet. everytime mine got the ylod i fixed it by heating it up with a heat gun, while neglecting all the other things i suggested. but if you've got 100 to spend once then you can permfix it

i baked my mobo in the oven a long time ago saw it on youtube one time what you said 400 deg 10 min and it died wont even power up.for some people it works it killed mine i need to find a place where they sell brand new ps3 motherboards.id rather keep my phat ps3 than a slim
(gmt-6)

<embed src="http://www.clocklink.com/clocks/world00 ... e=GMT-0600&" width="480" height="250" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">