Star Wars Battlefront Status

A place to discuss Playstation 2 online gaming.
The Don
Level 6: Respectful Citizen Golf 2
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes
Xlink Kai username: bkchi

Star Wars Battlefront Status

Post by The Don »

I reported earlier that SWB was offline, but that isn't entirely true. I did a little testing recently. I was able to connect and see servers, but I was not prompted to download the latest patch. I think that only lucasarts took down their server which provides the patch, but the Gamespy servers appear to still be up. This is unfortunate because the patch fixed a lot of little issues. Sadly, the patch only works on the PS2 on which it was originally downloaded. You can't just copy it to other machines. The bottom line is that if you already have the patch, you can play on the newer, latest, servers. If you don't have the patch, you can still play, but on the older servers (or if a player serves).
(gmt-5)

lazyhoboguy
site admin
Xlink Kai username: lazyhobobum

Re: Star Wars Battlefront Status

Post by lazyhoboguy »

Thanks for the info. I remember you mentioned this earlier but I forgot about it. This kind of sucks, but at least you can still play it online . The game does have LAN too so it can be LAN tunneled with Xlink Kai or other programs as well.

Mytho
Level 41: Can't Think of More Ranks...Time to Split!
Xlink Kai username: LjariusSneed580

Post by Mytho »

So let me get this straight: SWBF is still online, but the patch server is down. You can still play online either with or without the patch, but there are exclusive servers for those who have the patch and vice versa. This sounds similar to BF2: Modern Combat's situation, where existing accounts can log in and play, but new accounts cannot be created. In both cases, functionality has been crippled, yet the game is still playable online.

I wonder why the patch server was taken offline, yet the master list wasn't. You would think that both the patch and master list would be hosted on the same server.
(gmt-5)
Let Battlefield 2: Modern Combat go!

Viscosity
site admin

Post by Viscosity »

My guess would be that the server broke. No one want or is going to fix it so it is just going to stay like that i guess. The masterlist is hosted by gamespy so unless lucas arts did something then I bet it just broke or something. Besides if you have a madded ps2, use a ps3 for ps2, have a ps3 and a ps2 memorycard adapter for it, or action replay, you can put the patch on your system. If you someone has the patch installed already then they could find someway to upload it and then people can still use the patch. PM me if you have the patch and want help to get it off you MC.

The Don

Post by The Don »

No, the server didn't break, lucasarts just took it down. They posted the notice on their forums. As my original post mentioned, you can't just copy the patch to another machine, it ONLY will work on the console that downloaded it. On another machine the patch is ignored.
(gmt-5)

lazyhoboguy
site admin
Xlink Kai username: lazyhobobum

Post by lazyhoboguy »

Server Support Ends for Star Wars®: Battlefront™ I (PS2)

All LucasArts sponsored online servers and related server game patch availability for the Star Wars®: Battlefront™ PS2 title has reached end of life and has been retired at this time.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

-LucasArts Staff
http://forums.lucasarts.com/ann.jspa?annID=3

Here is the link that The Don posted before about this.

Also do you know of exactly what the patch fixed in the game? You know of somewhere where you can find that information.

The Don

Post by The Don »

The patch fixed several little things, and added a few real handy things. See below:

Voice identity. It should now be clear WHO is talking
Voice muting
Revised Voting Interface
Ability to change teams
Display Server Name in Game
Droideka Headshot Collision Fix
Revised Server Browser
Display Planet Name on Load
Add match searching functionality
Auto Aim Off now removes all aim & control assistance
PS2 Host - Boot with no vote
Host Features - Ticket Count
Host Features - Moveable Window
Host Features - Boot
Host Features ? Ban
Host Features - Spawn Invincibility
Host Features - Ping Minimum (auto Boot Laggers)
and few extremely rare crash bugs were found & fixed.

The biggest deal is that you need the patch to get on the servers that are still running. Without the patch you won't be able to see them much less connect to them. The new server version is superior because, among other things, you can change the ticket count, so instead of a map of 200 vs. 200 you can tweak it up to 1000 vs. 1000 or 500 vs. 1000 for a challenge. Had I known the patch server was coming offline I would have gotten the patch on all of my machines.
(gmt-5)

Viscosity
site admin

Post by Viscosity »

well if you someone can send me the patch, please do so anyway because maybe it can be decrypted.

The Don

Post by The Don »

Favrenation wrote:well if you someone can send me the patch, please do so anyway because maybe it can be decrypted.
I took a look, but didn't have much luck. It's all in binary. I was hoping the system's ID would be somewhere in plain text. I decided it might be worthwhile to compare my buddy's patch off of his system to mine and see how they differ.
(gmt-5)

Viscosity
site admin

Post by Viscosity »

Does ps2 save builder help with anything?