Ratchet and Clank Up Your Arsenal Online Multiplayer

A place to discuss Playstation 2 online gaming.
lazyhoboguy
site admin
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes
Xlink Kai username: lazyhobobum

Ratchet and Clank Up Your Arsenal Online Multiplayer

Post by lazyhoboguy »

Im making this thread because I just found that a ratchet and clank hd collection will be releasing on the ps3. It will also include UYA's online multiplayer, so I cannot help but think that the servers for UYA on ps2 might not be around for a whole lot longer. It would be a smart business move to shut down the ps2 servers to force people to buy the game on ps3 collection to play it online

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/03/ ... -included/

Masquarr
Level 22: Rogue Soldier
Xlink Kai username: masquedwarrior

Re: Ratchet and Clank Up Your Arsenal Online Multiplayer

Post by Masquarr »

I agree with what you said about Sony shutting down the PS2 servers to get people to buy the PS3 version. Even if that's not Sony's plan, I'm willing to bet that most UYA players will voluntarily "upgrade" anyway, turning the PS2 version's master server into a ghost town. After that happens, Sony will have little reason to keep the master server up any longer.

If what I heard is true, Ratchet: Deadlocked uses the same master server as Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal. If that's true, that's the only thing that I think would keep Sony from shutting down PS2 UYA any later than three months after the HD re-release. Either way, I really doubt PS2 UYA's multiplayer will make it to the year 2013... which would mean that Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain won't, either. Remember, the DNS redirect method for that game relies on the UYA master server, so once UYA gets shut down, Syphon Filter gets shut down with it!
(gmt-4)

21SkAt3r21
Level 27: ATV: PavedRoad Glee
Xlink Kai Setup?: no

Post by 21SkAt3r21 »

Ugh, i never played online with you Masquarr... We need to before..the end. I think 2012 is going to be the year most ps2 servers go down sadly. The newer consoles are dominating now and if they announce an even newer console sometime soon the ps2 will be considered almost ancient. It sucks beacuse i still love my ps2.
THPS 4 LIFE

(gmt-6)

Grunt_Sniper
Level 10: Delta Force: White Seagull Down

Post by Grunt_Sniper »

Long live the PS2. <3Forever<3 R.I.P. 2000-2012
(gmt-4)
PS2 Online Games: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Jungle Storm*~*Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain*~*SOCOM*~*SOCOM II*~*SOCOM 3/SOCOM CA*~*Sniper Elite*~*Tony Hawk's UnderGround 2

jacobgrocks
Level 18: Tourist Evil: Fannypack Outbreak
Xlink Kai username: jacobgrocks

Post by jacobgrocks »

21SkAt3r21 wrote:Ugh, i never played online with you Masquarr... We need to before..the end. I think 2012 is going to be the year most ps2 servers go down sadly. The newer consoles are dominating now and if they announce an even newer console sometime soon the ps2 will be considered almost ancient. It sucks beacuse i still love my ps2.
If DNAS gets shut down though, then it's gone for good as most online games used DNAS. We'd be stuck with Kai forever.

Viscosity
site admin

Post by Viscosity »

Well we still would have tribes and some of the tony hawk games for regular online but xlink kai or xbslink isn't that bad one we get a good working guide to set it up with. It is not too hard to set those things up. The only servers that seem to be staying online for awhile longer are the gamespy ones as their are dreamcast games that still use gamespy servers lol. But i think gamespy got bought out by another company so I am not sure how long that would last either.

jacobgrocks

Post by jacobgrocks »

Favrenation wrote:Well we still would have tribes and some of the tony hawk games for regular online but xlink kai or xbslink isn't that bad one we get a good working guide to set it up with. It is not too hard to set those things up. The only servers that seem to be staying online for awhile longer are the gamespy ones as their are dreamcast games that still use gamespy servers lol. But i think gamespy got bought out by another company so I am not sure how long that would last either.
Gamespy got bought out by IGN in 2005, and most of the gamespy PS2 games are still up. They only take them down if you tell them to, like with BF2MC, and EA didn't send them the right stuff so only user account creation was locked.

Plus, there are already alternate gamespy master servers too.

21SkAt3r21
Level 27: ATV: PavedRoad Glee

Post by 21SkAt3r21 »

jacobgrocks wrote:Plus, there are already alternate gamespy master servers too.
Wait What??? For what games?? I didnt know about this??!!

And yeah if the DNAS goes down we would basically be forced to play Tribes, THPS3 (maybe THPS4, i cant remember if it uses it), and everything with LAN on XLink/XBSLink.
THPS 4 LIFE

(gmt-6)

jacobgrocks

Post by jacobgrocks »

21SkAt3r21 wrote:
jacobgrocks wrote:Plus, there are already alternate gamespy master servers too.
Wait What??? For what games?? I didnt know about this??!!

And yeah if the DNAS goes down we would basically be forced to play Tribes, THPS3 (maybe THPS4, i cant remember if it uses it), and everything with LAN on XLink/XBSLink.
The alt THPS servers used GameSpy. However, you need to pass through DNAS, of course, and if you can't pass through DNAS then you cannot play online. Only the oldest games lacked it.

Masquarr
Level 22: Rogue Soldier
Xlink Kai username: masquedwarrior

Post by Masquarr »

Well yeah, that was what 21SkAt3r21 was saying. THPS3 was one of the "oldest games," and therefore does not contain DNAS. The only other games that don't authenticate to DNAS, but are still playable online, (and haven't been mentioned in this topic previously,) are Midnight Club II, SOCOM: US Navy Seals, and Amplitude.
(gmt-4)