Request - fewer choices in the Weekly Sunday Game polls

Post here if you are having problems with the website or if you have comments about it.
Masquarr
Level 22: Rogue Soldier
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes
Xlink Kai username: masquedwarrior

Request - fewer choices in the Weekly Sunday Game polls

Post by Masquarr »

Each week, there are ten different games to vote for. I think this is far too many games. During nearly every one of these polls, less than 10 people end up actually voting. The amount of choices being offered outnumbers the amount of voters, which can cause the vote to get split. The most obvious such case was the poll for the 11/27 game, in which there was a three-way tie!

So, could you please decrease the amount of choices in the polls from now on? I think 5 options would be a good amount, considering the voter turnout. After all, each week, usually only half (or less) of the options present actually receive any votes.
(gmt-4)

Awesom3B
Level 12: Warm Summer
Xlink Kai Setup?: no
Xlink Kai username: Awesom3B

Re: Request - fewer choices in the Weekly Sunday Game polls

Post by Awesom3B »

Masquarr wrote:Each week, there are ten different games to vote for. I think this is far too many games. During nearly every one of these polls, less than 10 people end up actually voting. The amount of choices being offered outnumbers the amount of voters, which can cause the vote to get split. The most obvious such case was the poll for the 11/27 game, in which there was a three-way tie!

So, could you please decrease the amount of choices in the polls from now on? I think 5 options would be a good amount, considering the voter turnout. After all, each week, usually only half (or less) of the options present actually receive any votes.
You've got to admit, hes got a point.

lazyhoboguy
site admin
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes
Xlink Kai username: lazyhobobum

Post by lazyhoboguy »

Well I dont see it as a huge problem beacause when games tie in the poll I would just pick the game that we hadnt played in the longest time. Wawowe's been keeping things going while ive been busy the past couple months so not sure how he handled the tie situation, but I dont think it's a big deal if there is an occassional tie. Narrowing down the list to 5 games a week is harder than you think. There are tons of still online ps2 games and LAN tunnable only games to choose from. At least with 10 games there is wide variety. It lets several popular Xlink Kai games and still online games be possible choices. Who will choose which 5 games are options too? I mean when there is that few choices personal tastes of the poll creator is more likely to sway which choices are there. I mean it doesnt hurt anything when games dont get voted for, when people feel its time to vote for a game in the list at least its there as an option. Having less poll options doesn't mean more people will all of a sudden start voting more either. It seems like the games played change pretty consistently and that is sort of the point. I feel like having too much choice is better than us arbitrarily picking random games for the weekly game or limiting the choices drastically.

*edit* Also I should point out that some users of the site only own a few games, so they might agree more with narrowing down the choices a lot. But for us that own a big collection of ps2 online games its a bit harder to choose. Once uve played a lot of them and know there are a lot of good ones it gets harder to pick only a small amount as options.

wawowe
site admin
Xlink Kai Setup?: no
Xlink Kai username: wawowe

Post by wawowe »

If the choices for 11/27/11 had been limited to the first five:
  • Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Lockdown
  • Jak X: Combat Racing (lan tunneling)
  • Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal
  • XIII
  • TimeSplitters 2
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Lockdown would have most likely won. Assuming the people that voted for Cold Winter and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 either did not want to play any of the first five choices or just didn't have them, they would have no reason to vote at all because there wouldn't be any chance of their choice winning.
So having a larger list of choices is useful when not everyone has/likes the same games. There should be a limit, for instance choosing between sixty games would be overwhelming, but considering the amount of online PS2 games there are, ten isn't that many.
As the number of active members steadily increases so will the number of voters. Personally I think having less choices would decrease the number of active voters.

btw, Rainbow Six: Lockdown won 11/27/11 because not only had it been a longer time since we played it, but it had never won the Sunday poll up until that point.