Ideas to make this community more alive.

Post here if you are having problems with the website or if you have comments about it.
MartinMilk
Level 3: The Not Very Fast and the Perturbed
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes
Xlink Kai username: MartinMilkis

Ideas to make this community more alive.

Post by MartinMilk »

I really hate to see the PS2 online community getting less active, and I think it's for reasons that could be fixed easily if we all just started to care a little bit more..

This website is pretty much the place to go for most PS2 users who play reguarly, so why is it so that finding people can be tough? We need some kind of chat system on the site. I know for a fact that it is possible to add 'shoutbox' on sites like these, That way you would have an open chat everytime you sign in on this website where you can talk to people who might be willing to play. (This work great on forums such as obsrv.org)

Also, why not have something planed each week? On friday nights we play Timesplitters, on saturdays we play Mortal kombat etc.. So people know at what times this forum is the most active.

Why not consider these ideas? too time consuming? Why not add moderators that have the time and will to implement these features?
YouTube Channel: GaymingTube

on PS2 I usually play Biohazard Outbreak, Timesplitters and Call of Duty 3. I also play GameCube online and I do have all supported games. Hit me up if you want to play.

JamesCableCar
Level 41: Can't Think of More Ranks...Time to Split!
Xlink Kai Setup?: no

Re: Ideas to make this community more alive.

Post by JamesCableCar »

Tribes is planned, well was, seems a bit here and there now

I guess planning things is harder now, people who were probably younger when this started out have gotten older, busier lives etc. etc.

Its good that people still play really
My PS2 YouTube account = http://www.youtube.com/user/jamesxfm1049?feature=mhee

Area 51 is the best... Got it for £1.50 (around 2.50 dollars and 1.90 euros) :D

MartinMilk
Level 3: The Not Very Fast and the Perturbed
Xlink Kai username: MartinMilkis

Post by MartinMilk »

JamesCableCar wrote:Tribes is planned, well was, seems a bit here and there now

I guess planning things is harder now, people who were probably younger when this started out have gotten older, busier lives etc. etc.

Its good that people still play really
Sure people have busy lifes, I do too but if you really have this as an hobby you make time for it. I think the problem is that it's way to time consuming finding people on here. If we had a chat you would see who was avalible instantly.
YouTube Channel: GaymingTube

on PS2 I usually play Biohazard Outbreak, Timesplitters and Call of Duty 3. I also play GameCube online and I do have all supported games. Hit me up if you want to play.

JamesCableCar

Post by JamesCableCar »

there was a chat a few years back or so, no one really used it, just bots on it lol

martindecano
Level 6: Respectful Citizen Golf 2
Xlink Kai username: DECA25

Post by martindecano »

incisto an easier way to connect with players is to create a group on the facebook platform

Viscosity
site admin

Post by Viscosity »

This was site was started over 5 years ago with a group of 4 people. I was the youngest and am the last one who is still around. I will keep the site going for as long as there are people with interest. I have stated before that I wanted to organize the information on the site better and there are still bugs with this new style that need to get worked out. We did have an site chat before we updated. I can work on adding that back. I prefer to use an irc client since you don't have to be on the site to use it.

JamesCableCar

Post by JamesCableCar »

what happened to all the rest?

Viscosity
site admin

Post by Viscosity »

A mixture of having less free time and moving on from the ps2. They're far from the only people who have done this. I should probably make a news post about the DNAS change and where that leaves the community. One of the main problems with the ps2 is that there are so many games. The dreamcast, for example, only has a handful and that makes the community more cohesive. While I feel like there will be plenty of games brought back through dnas hackery in the future, having a smaller list of games to choose from does have advantages.

DRPS2
Level 1: Deer Hunter
Xlink Kai username: DRPS2

Post by DRPS2 »

Hi

I recently registered here. The past year or so I have got back into my ps2 gaming ( I bought it in 2004 then it got shoved in a box whilst I travelled around)

I am extremely limited with time however would love to get back online with the PS2. The biggest points for me are...

Getting set up.

I think there is just a whole lot of uncertainty as to what works, what doesn't and how to get it to work. I have Xlink set up. I put it off for a loooong time as it seemed a bit daunting. I have not tested it yet though.
For games not using xlink I see a lot about DNS then DNAS stopping e.t.c. I think some basic steps on what games work online and how to get them going would be great( I saw the awesome thread that is now listing working games, just need to buy one from the list lol )

Scheduling - I cannot commit to anything so I do not raise any interest in the forum for any planned sessions. I wonder if other people don't declare their interest for that reason?

I will get online soon I am sure and just thought I'd share my thought as a newbie around here. Retro gaming is getting bigger and bigger I am sure that there is a lot of interest out there but people may not be aware of the options.

Viscosity
site admin

Post by Viscosity »

Welcome to the site DRPS2. As for you not wanting to commit to anything, you will eventually find that the only option to find games once player numbers dwindle. If you do it through facebook or a chat it's all the same. It's not really a massive commitment though lol. Really depends on your free time and what not.