More EA games go offline including Battlefield Modern Combat

A place to discuss Playstation 2 online gaming.
Viscosity
site admin
Xlink Kai Setup?: yes

More EA games go offline including Battlefield Modern Combat

Post by Viscosity »

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20079 ... ore-games/

Heres what the generous EA had to say.
"As games get replaced with newer titles, the number of players still enjoying the older games dwindles below a point--fewer than 1 percent of all peak online players across all EA titles--where it's feasible to continue the behind-the-scenes work involved with keeping these games up and running," EA said on its site. "We would rather our hard-working engineering and IT staff focus on keeping a positive experience for the other 99 percent of customers playing our more popular games."
Another comment by the humble EA
EA has noted that the decision to discontinue online support for a game isn't easy.

"The development teams and operational staff pour their hearts into these games almost as much as the customers playing them, and it is hard to see one retired," the company said on its site when the original list went up in January.
Don't worry though because I'm sure shutting these servers down hurts EA more than it hurts the players who have played these games for years.

lazyhoboguy
site admin
Xlink Kai username: lazyhobobum

Re: More EA games go offline including Battlefield Modern Co

Post by lazyhoboguy »

http://www.ea.com/1/service-updates

They do not mention the ps2 version of battlefield 2: modern combat going offline. I do not think it will be then, since they always specifically mention each version of a game that is going offline. Last year they mentioned ps2 versions of games that were going offline.

Viscosity
site admin

Post by Viscosity »

Called an EA rep and he said it's expected to be offline pretty soon. Not sure when that will be but its probably going to happen in the future.

NoLimits
Level 23: Ribbon of Shame: Rising Storm
Xlink Kai username: NoLimits

Post by NoLimits »

Does this mean that EA is going to get Gamespy to shut down the servers?

Viscosity
site admin

Post by Viscosity »

Well i dont know. Lazy makes a point in that gamespy hosts the servers instead of EA. But im just not sure.

Masquarr
Level 22: Rogue Soldier
Xlink Kai username: masquedwarrior

Post by Masquarr »

Although I don't have the link, there was a post at Gamespy's forums at which a representative of Gamespy confirmed that it was EA who requested for them to turn off the account creation feature. So if EA wants to, they can ask for Gamespy to completely shut down the master list. I think that it is very likely that EA will do this sometime within the next three months, definitely by the end of the year.
(gmt-4)

NoLimits
Level 23: Ribbon of Shame: Rising Storm
Xlink Kai username: NoLimits

Post by NoLimits »

I don't know why they would bother requesting the servers be shut down. Do they really care that they are losing business from about 200 people to an older game?

Viscosity
site admin

Post by Viscosity »

Well Battlefield 3 is coming out at the end of the year so they want people to go buy that game.

Mr.Chale
Level 5: 187 Avoid this Game or Die
Xlink Kai username: Mr Chale

Post by Mr.Chale »

makes sense when the next gen mortal kombats came out they killed armageddon and deception(well no one on deception).I dont understand why their still selling brand new PS2 but killing all the severs. it will be a sad day for me when BF2MC is gone imma play the shit out of it for the next few days
(gmt-6)

<embed src="http://www.clocklink.com/clocks/world00 ... e=GMT-0600&" width="480" height="250" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

FreddY
Level 11: Ratchet & Clank: Stay Out of My Arsenal!
Xlink Kai username: Razxr

Post by FreddY »

The 360 version of Battlefield 2: Modern Combat, which released six months after the PS2 and original Xbox versions, has had a good 5+ year run. Which is more than I can say for many other EA online games. I will be playing it a good deal before August 11, 2011.

As for the PS2 version, it is very unlikely that it will be shut down along with the 360 version. The BF2:MC PS2 online servers are maintained by GameSpy, as seen on the back of the game ("Powered by GameSpy"). This is very unique for an EA online game.

Yes, EA has discontinued their EA Online account creation feature, but the actual online servers continue to be maintained by GameSpy. It is widely known that those with an existing account are able to play online without problems. Like the Call of Duty series for PS2, the Star Wars Battlefront series and many more PS2 games powered by GameSpy, Battlefield 2: Modern Combat for PS2 should by all means continue to be maintained online for as long as GameSpy.com is online.

Not to mention the fact that, as Lazy said, EA did not specifically state the PS2 version as well.

That being said, I suppose I will be reverting back to the PS2 version of BF2:MC after 08/11!